Helicopter Course changes from 15th July
As of 15th July 2013, new OPITO standards come into effect for Helicopter courses. These changes have implications for our course calendar and prices, and for any courses booked to start from 15th July.
It is important to note that whilst there are no pre-requisites for attending HDA Initial, HLO Initial & HDA HERTM courses, there are still other training requirements for working in these roles offshore:
- Responsibility now falls with the operators (not training providers) for ensuring staff have all the necessary training for helicopter operations
- HLO's will still require the HERTL and CAA Radio Operators courses to adhere to platform safety cases.
- BOSIET/FOET's will still be required for most operators
We have been in close discussions with OPITO since the standards were released and have received final clarification on grandfather rights for HLO & HDA courses.
- Previously it was possible to allow an HLO course to expire and then retake the HLO course without undertaking an HLO (Further) course.
- The new standards state that: from 15th July 2013, you must hold a valid HLO HERTL or HLO FT to work offshore as an HLO.
- An HLO (Further) from the old standards is still valid from 15th July 2013 and can be revalidated with new HLO FT course before it expires.
- If you do not hold a valid HLO (Further) post 15th July 2013, you will need to do the new HLO Helideck Emergency Response Team Leader course in order to work as an HLO offshore.
- The current HDA course is no longer valid after 15th July 2013.
- The new OPITO standards state that all non HLO certified helideck workers must undertake the HDA Initial training.
- Helideck workers who do not hold a valid OEHTM or OEHTM R certificate will also have to undertake the HDA HERTM course.
- Helideck workers with a valid OEHTM or OEHTM R certificate will only have to undertake HDA Initial training.
- The HDA FT revalidates both the HDA Initial and HDA HERTM
Experience & Competence Assessment
In addition to onshore-based training, there is now a requirement for HDA’s and HLO’s to be assessed onsite in their roles. Petans can provide this onsite training by qualified instructors/assessors for customers where necessary @ £500 +VAT per day based on a maximum of 10 delegates.
If you have any questions about the changes to these courses, please do not hesitate to contact us.